Monday, April 23, 2012

When All Else Fails... Shag!


This last weekend I went to my parents house to borrow their vacuum cleaner, because ours stopped working. When I got there I found that my parent's vacuum had also ceased to serve their sucking needs, and they had borrowed a vacuum from her parents (that = my grandparents, if you're feeling the Inception-effect).

All admit that I was a tad underwhelmed when I saw this. I may or may not have double, or even triple checked that this was in fact the vacuum we were going to be borrowing. Upon further research I found that this model was originally released in the 1940's and there was an anniversary model which was released in more recent years (second picture). Judging by the condition of this vac, however, I'm going to guess it's closer to the 1940's version.





Wait For It...

Without a doubt the absolute best part of this fabulously vintage vacuum, is the power selector... You can choose between "Low Pile," "Normal Pile," and of course.... "Shag" 




I'll be honest, I was extremely skeptical of this vacuums ability to pick up anything larger than an atom, but do my surprise this rugged tool packed quite the punch... I mean suck. Oh, and did I mention that the chord was long enough that I was able to vacuum our entire apartment without unplugging once! 

While it may sound a bit corny, I feel like using this vacuum is a lot more rewarding than the wind tunnel inducing, bowling ball lifting, self-steering vacuums that are for sale these days.

Yeah, I'm Gonna Say It

Feel like connecting to a time when kids played outside, families gathered around the radio, and cars still used carburetors? Then I suggest picking up one of these!

2 comments:

  1. i want one! i also like that you double and triple checked if it was the right vacuum. "so you mean....THAT vacuum....that one....?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. same! I actually debated whether or not I should call my grandma and make her an offer.

    ReplyDelete